Cheap, good martinis are hard to come by. Boys may scoff at women’s love for martinis, marking it as some jaded Sex in the City fantasy. But if you’re not careful those cocktails will knock you on your ass as they as are potent as they are delicious. Besides, if you’ve watched an episode of Mad Men you know that a good martini can be pretty manly. With this in mind, plus my craving for a new Friday night watering hole hangout, led me to 60 West Bistro and Martini Bar on Shelbyville Road.
- Holy martini list (PDF) batman. 61 martinis if I counted right. Yes I know some of the names are girly, I hate the word ‘MANtini’ and a majority are made with sour mix or sprite. This isn’t for mixology purists. But admit it… that list is impressive! And my bellini was excellent.
- When you walk into 60 West it is deceptively bigger then it looks from the outside. A heated patio, plenty of elegant booth space, and a nice big wooden square bar. And loved the easy parking out back (coming from a downtown dweller).
- The waitstaff/bartenders were excellent and patient with my hundreds of questions. I’m allowed to be picky. You’re talking to a former server/hostess for 6+ years.
- The atmosphere was appealing. Candles everywhere, wooden accents and cool 20 x 20 ft wall of a Makers Mark art installation. Martini bars can be fru fru. This was not.
- Cheap drinks. $5 martinis on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and 1/2 price bottles of wine Wednesday and Friday. You could do some serious damage to yourself with $20.
- A decent food menu (PDF) with interesting dishes:
My bill after two martinis and this split pizza: $28 bucks. And I didn’t even order anything on special. Cheers to that!
Open Monday – Thursday 4p to 12m. Friday – Saturday 4p to 2a. 3939 Shelbyville Rd.