Ever since Trader Joe’s opened in Louisville back in October people seem split on whether they love or hate the place. The Traitor Hater’s dismiss Trader Joe’s because it is often extremely crowded, lacking in variety, and the fact that two buck chuck isn’t 2 bucks.
The Joseph Lovers? They are happy to see a top organic food chain landing in Louisville and no longer want to eat chemically processed foods. Restaurants in the same complex, like Puccini’s Smiling Teeth, are enjoying the new crowds of people they consider upscale diners. I can appreciate both sides.
Things that makes me a Traitor Hater (this is my experience both here and in other cities):
- Please stop selling sushi. That goes for all grocery stores. Just stop.
- Their peppered turkey bacon. Though to be fair, I am reviewing turkey bacon. But this in particular tastes like a turkey and a can of spam had an evil little baby.
- Am I the only one less then thrilled with the produce? I get that non chemically treated fruits spoil faster but the produce seemed soft and picked over on my last visits. Is there a happy medium?
- Make no mistake: An average family couldn’t do all its shopping at the store. But I feel the same about Whole Foods. Cool products, lacking necessities.
Things that make me a Joseph Lover:
- I have a friend who works at Trader Joe’s who loves it. Great culture, great benefits.
- Did you see the giant hunks of raw chocolate? ohmygoshyum. Their chocolate comes from all over the world, which makes you more cultured sampling them all. That goes for the cheese too.
- Chicken cilantro mini wontons. In the frozen section. These go particularly well with (my crack) Sriracha sauce and make cute little apps. Same goes for their sweet potato fries. Their frozen section is surprisingly good.
- They have high quality gorgeous flowers. The only grocery store I wouldn’t mind receiving a bouquet from.
- Organic at a value. That rocks.
Are you a lover or a hater? Let me know which products you think rock and which just weird you out. I’m looking at you turkey meatloaf muffins.
Trader Joe’s. 4600 Shelbyville Road. St. Matthews.